Saturday, November 21, 2009

Necronoclast Interview


1. Can you tell us about your project, when you formed and what is going on nowadys?
-- I started Necronoclast in 2003, from a desire to create dark atmospheres based on my own mind, my own thoughts. The first full album, "Monument", was released in 2006. Since then, there have been two further albums, "The Plague" and then "Haven". At the moment, I'm writing some new material for forthcoming releases.

2. Where did you come up with the name Necronoclast?
-- It was a combination of the prefix necro, referencing death, and the word iconoclast, referring to an opposition to traditional beliefs. It was based on lyrical themes I was using at the time.

3. How would you describe the musical progress over the years?
-- I think the recent songwriting is more focused and polished. Although atmosphere remains key and the core musical elements have not changed much, I feel that Necronoclast is much more accomplished now in terms of reaching its target sound.

4. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
-- I'd like to incorporate some other elements into future recordings to expand my musical scope. Necronoclast will always be grounded in black metal, but I will be incorporating some new elements into my new work. I see no great worth in recording essentially the same material twice.

5. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
-- Lyrics have never been an important focus of Necronoclast, because I always feel that music itself should convey ideas and emotion. Lyrics are based on concepts of anxiety, imagination, and humanity.

6. how has the reception been towards your music by other black metal fans?
-- I've had a lot of positive responses, particularly to "Haven". It's interesting to get feedback because black metal - especially solo projects - is a genre which has become quite overpopulated, so it's good to see that people are still interested. Ultimately though, Necronoclast is the most egocentric thing I have ever done, and as long as I am achieving my own targets then I am satisfied.

7. What are some of the black and doom metal bands that have influenced your music style and do you have influences from any other types of music as well?
-- Katatonia is an obvious influence, plus more traditional black metal like Burzum, and doomier bands like Shape of Despair and My Dying Bride. I don't set out to copy any existing bands, but these are bands whom I feel achieve the same targets I set myself through their works.

8. What are you listening to nowadays?
-- Recently, Gris, Pantheon I, Watain, Absu, Shining.

10. Do you have interest in any Satanic, Occult and pagan beliefs or philosophies?
-- No, other than from an 'outside interest' point of view. I don't see any value in giving my beliefs a particular title.

11. What are some of your interests outside of music?
-- I'm a big fan of unconsciousness.

12. How would you describe the metal scene in Scotland, I have not heard of that many band coming from the country?
-- I don't live in Scotland at this point in time so I can't comment on the active scene. But Scotland has always had a fairly strong underground. Though black metal has, in my opinion, been underrepresented.

13. Any final words or thoughts of wisdom for the people reading this interview?
-- Thanks for making it to the end...

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Necronoclast/38175

No comments:

Post a Comment