Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Black Plague Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
A: Black Plague is a one man Black Metal Ambient band from Torrance California. I, Nino am the man behind the voice, music and artwork. I have been working on this project since 2006 and I have released 3 splits and many demos.

2. What is the meaning behind the band's name?
A: Black Plague sounds simple for a black metal band name, however I love the meaning of the actual Black Plague from the middle ages. The pain and suffering the plague brought upon humanity. It caused chaos among all religions in Europe of the time. Also I truly believe a second modern day plague is coming soon...this time it will be through biological modern warfare.

3.How would you describe your musical sound?
A: Its a little of everything in the Black Metal world to keep things new and diverse to Black Metal fans. Its melodic/ambient/depressive when it wants to be, or harsh fierce black metal. Most of the time Black Plague is slow, minimalistic, ritualistic occult hymns and choirs.

4. You have worked with other bands as well as a solo artist, how would you compare the two?
A: Yes I also been in full pieced bands such as Moonknight, Thulcandra and Mortuary but working solo is probably the best felling. Its just total control over the music, style, lyrics and artwork. The downside is the fact that playing shows is not an option. Even though I record solo I also like to collaborate from time to time with other underground acts.

5.Are you still working with any bands, if so who are they and what kind of music do they play?
A: No, not at the time. Vargxin the lead front-man of Mooknight and I have thought of bringing the projects Moonknight and Thulcandra back but they never really take off. Riffs are made but they are never recorded and the Demo tapes always get destroyed.

6. Are you planning on singing to a record label in the future, or do you prefer to self release the music?
A: Self-release all the way. I've thought of signing so many times to a label but I prefer to be free with my project. Although I release most of my work through download for free (Which many traditional Black Metal fans are against) I don't mind, I want people to get a hold of my music because I'm passionate of my music not money. I also do a small amount of printed CD-R's and Tapes which are very hard to get a hold of.

7. Out off all the recordings that you have put out so far which one are
you the most satisfied with?
A: Hands down "Hatred That Feeds Upon The Soul" because it is the darkest album I believe I have created so far. The album is just one evil, schizofrantic experience. I personally think that no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to recreate such a powerful yet bleak album ever again.

8. How would you describe your musical progress over the years and what direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
A: one word: experimental. I never really know what will be of the future of my music. Usually the recording process is very dwelling. I can tell you though, that the next CD will head in a more traditional Black Metal sense. So fans of the track "Raping Of The Innocent Virgin" will be pleased.

9. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
A: Real. Its real emotion, real hatred and depression that goes into these songs. Mostly inspired by real life not so much on fictional stories or fantasies.

10. How has the feedback been to your music from black metal and ambient fans worldwide?
A: I have been generally getting very good reviews from 2008 to the present. I am very pleased with the fan base I have too, its smaller but very loyal. Many people talked shit about my older stuff yet I agree with some of their criticism. I was looking for a sound from 2006 to 2007. It took a lot of trial and error to get a sound I like.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and what are you
listening to nowadays?
A: Bands: Nastrond, Xasthur, Endless Dismal Moan, Lurker Of Chalice, Songe D' Enfer, Black Funeral, Nihasa, Nortt, Veil, Morbid Undead are some of the few that rank among my favorites. I also listen to some Neo-Classical and Ritualistic Choirs, my favorite composer is Philip Glass and his Koyaanisqatsi series.

12. What are some occult authors, philosphers, orders or practices that have had the most impact on your views?
A: I read and am a big fan of Michael W. Ford's Luciferian teachings. Besides his music with Black Funeral, the man is a fine brilliant author and philosopher in the occult world. I am also fascinated with Aleister Crowley and The Heaven's Gate cult.

13. What are some of your interests outside of music?
A: Art, its been my first passion in life. I have been drawing since I was two years old. I created the cover to the Morbid Undead/Black Plague Split. I have also drawn covers/layouts/Logos for the following Black/Death metal bands: Doedsredskap, Drakkar, Narfantyr, Neant Radical, Hadoth, Devourment, Spewage, just to name a few.

14. Any final words or thoughts?
A: I'd like to thank Occult Black Metal Zine for this opportunity and for taking the time to review my music and interview me. I'd also like to thank the fans of Black Plague and my other projects, without them Black Plague would be nothing.
-Nino

https://www.bandmix.com/black-plague-black-metal/

No comments:

Post a Comment