Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Garden Of Grief Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

Well, a split ep with N&N is in production, it's going to be released on vinyl by Atramentum Productions from Canada. I'm currently writing lyrics for my new full-length album on which only the vocals are missing now. A re-release of the 2nd album on cd is also in the making and in the meantime I'm working on a re-recording of one older song with quite a long playing time...that release might be produced again in a revisited version then. You will see when it's time...

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new material and how it differs from the older recordings?

I would say it is more technical just because I did not stop to practise with all instruments since I started the project...I also write more aggressive stuff now and combine it with the raw and primitive elements that had been dominating the early works. Vocals have become more varied and distinctive, mostly because with more developed recording techniques I'm better able to capture the vocals as they really sound. In general I would say the music still has the same atmosphere but the execution has become more complex and dense.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with the music?

Depends on several aspects for example if there's a concept behind a whole album or if it's just a single song apart form any concept. In those standalone songs I would say I try to "paint" a picture with the lyrics. The writing process is exactly the other way round: I come up with a picture, a certain atmosphere, in my mind and then I try to capture the essence in the lyrics. In most cases this is going quite depressive and melancholic, even when the music appears to be more aggressive. Apart from this way of writing I sometimes just want to make a statement with certain songs or build in personal stuff.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?

As it is with many song and album names as well I had a picture in my mind which I tried to express with words.

5.Currently you are solos but I have read that you thought of adding other musicians before in the past, are you still open to that or do you choose to remain solo with this project?

In the beginning I wasn't able to play stringed instruments at all which was the reason for thinking of getting session members. Now it's even less needed to consult anyone else and I will continue to work alone - it's faster, more flexible and closer to my intention of how it should sound if I work alone.

6. On the Burzum tribute album you covered one of the newer songs instead of the older material like the rest of the bands on the compilation, what was the decision behind covering a newer track instead of an  older track?

I felt it had more potential for a cover.

7. Currently you are unsigned are you looking for a label and if so, what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?

I'm not looking to get a permanent contract with any label, it's better for me to have various labels pay for single releases and merch stuff...I wouldn't be able to release everything that is planned if I was bound to only one label. And there's still the option of production on your own if you want to have something done in a very specific way...

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

Feedback has been good so far, in magazines as well as from fans that I'm in contact with. It's good to know though that me and my music can also trigger quite harsh and negative reactions - controversial music and characters are to be remembered and even to be hated is better than people having no opinion at all. The true supporters will last, the rest can go fuck themselves anyway. Having said so, I don't care too much about feedback at all, it won't change the way I am and how I write and perform my music.

9. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?

If you mean my own other projects I can't tell much because I'm currently not active in any other bands. I might go and find a project where I can play drums again, because that was actually my first and my main instrument.
I'm not sure when and how because when I get involved in a new project I don't just want to play along but get really involved and choose the way where it goes and I don't have so much time to do that at the moment. Also there are quite a lot of douchebags around in the szene, so if I just play with a band without digging too deep in the songwriting process I would rather do that with cool people - which are hard to find.

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

This is hard to tell, because I'm sure that if I read this again after some time I would not agree with my anticipations anymore. Anyway, from what I have planned now the next full-length after the one that is in the making will push the concept started with Denied Sanctuary X a bit farther and will contain mostly "old" songs, that have been written when I started the project back in 2008 and 2009. New compositions will somehow alternate between technical and atmospheric, but after the recording of the coming album I have not yet tried to really write down any new ideas.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I've learned playing guitar with Satanic Warmaster in the beginning, and I have an affinity for that certain style of mainly two stringed chords and melodies whenever I start playing primitive black metal. I love Peste Noire but I can't see any influence on my own music since it's too far from my skills on the guitar yet. I would say Drudkh is a rather big influence as far as atmosphere is concerned, being somewhere between melancholic and a certain epicness.

12. How would you describe your views on Satanism, Paganism or Occultism?

None of these beliefs are really relevant for me or my music although I prefer them over any monothestic religion. As far as Satanism is concerned, I feel more attracted to the somehow simple and basic aspect "act as you wish" that was introduced by Crowley. Satanism in a form that is again set up with too many rules and laws is basically nothing else than just another religion, not really an improvement compared to christianity or others. Not sure what you would count as being "occult" but I'm generally interested in those things that could be named so.

Paganism has become too much of a promotional issue in black metal, although this wave is almost over again. Still it seems that you sell more if you just get yourself painted with runes and stuff while playing mediocre black metal, and that's what many bands are still doing. I appreciate the belief itsself - if it's taken seriously - even though I can't identify myself too much with it.

13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Nature, reading, history, a little bit photography...spending much time with my girlfriend when possible and there's little besides working on music that I do when I'm alone anyway.

14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Actually no, nothing left to say if no one asks anything specific...thank you for the interview, that's all for now. HAILS!

Bandcamp
Blogspot
Facebook
Myspace
Twitter
YouTube

1 comment:

  1. This is a excellent interview. Long live Garden of Grief

    ReplyDelete