Friday, April 12, 2013

Wytchfilth Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
I originally started this band when I was very young in 2003 under the name of Witchking. Over the next six years I recorded several demos, mostly by myself except for one entitled 'Forsaken' which was recorded by a fellow who went under the moniker of Stilv (who played synths), who was the only other person to ever contribute to this band. However, his place was not to be a permanent one and he didn't contribute any further than that one release. Most of these demos were never really released, they were sent to friends or sent through the internet, some of them I deleted (or so I thought) or lost. I killed Witchking in 2009 under a cloud of bitterness and resentment. 

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Filth and contempt vomited unto an audio format. I'm not really interested in being pidgeon-holed with odd sub-genres, Wytchfilth has been described with such terms as depressive, industrial, experimental etc... to me it's just black metal raped by my own particular and corrupt vision.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
I use themes of human suffering, violence and sexual perversions to express feelings of negativity and misanthropy, with an underlying whisper of The Occult and Satanism. Talking about the lyrics can be extremely difficult, not just because of how deeply personal they are, but because I often have several ideas in mind when I am constructing the lyrics to one particular song. For example: the song 'The Void Of Human Waste' is referencing my view of the world and life: being trapped in a space surrounded by the embarrassing and pitiful waste of cells and limbs that is the common person. It is also a short work of fiction about drowning these said people in their own 'human waste' i.e. their piss, shit, semen and blood. Every song has different meanings and expresses more than one idea but still keeps within the same concept.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
I had to choose something that had some similarity to the previous name, so I used the first half spelt with a 'y' instead of an 'i' purely for aesthetic reasons. I chose 'filth' as the second part because it fit with the concept of the band and because it's a pleasing word to say. There isn't really any deeper meaning than that, to be honest.

5.I know that the project was started out as Witchking but split in 2009, what was the cause of the hiatus and the decision  to reform under a different name?
In 2009 I completely grew tired of making metal music and making music myself in general. I decided to end Witchking and try other routes so I wasted time intoxicating myself constantly and playing bass in local rock bands. I also spent a lot of time with experimenting with electronic music, which I have always been interested in and enjoyed making. During this time I barely played my guitar at all but after a couple of years I picked it up and played some riffs from old bands of mine (Witchking included) for nostalgia's sake and from there I started creating black metal again with a renewed fire. My interest and appreciation for the genre never changed, just my desire to play it. I decided to change the name because there was a weird stigma attached to it for me. Plus, even though I am a fan of Tolkein's works, I didn't want to be associated with Lord Of The Rings because I have never written music about it. Wytchfilth is still the same band, except with an expanded vision and a name that is more appropriate.

6. Currently there is only 1 member in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
Hmm, I guess I wouldn't mind a live drummer. But then, I enjoy programming drum tracks (mostly...). I'd be open to guests, no-one could be permanent. As much as I would hate to be regarded as yet another bedroom black metal band, I think this band has to remain this way. It's the absolute expression of myself and no-one else could really express that.

7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label and if so what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for the music?
I have spoken to a couple but I'm not too sure at the moment. There is one for definite I am interested in, because it would suit my need to be in complete control. I don't think I'd ever want to sign permanently, I'd like to release my music how I see fit but then a record label would help with printing costs etc... this would be beneficial to me as I live extremely minimally i.e. I'm poor. I guess we will see what the future holds.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
It's been pretty good. A lot of people have mentioned that they remember this band from when it was Witchking and have praised where I am now going with it. I do this mostly for myself but it is always good to hear that other people appreciate my music. I had a little bit of hate mail from some internet elitist kids, which was pretty funny. I assume that they are fifteen year old spotty little virgins that lack the imagination to use words other than 'kvlt' or 'gay' and have only been listening to black metal for a week or so. For the most part the feedback has been great, but I would still do this regardless of what others thought of it.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I really have no idea. I don't usually think too much about it, I just try to express the ideas I have at the time of writing and then fuck with it until it gets to where I need it to be. Half of the time I get an idea beforehand, it varies from song to song. Sometimes the lyrical idea will come to me first or sometimes I'll see a certain image in my head, which I will then try to recreate though the music. All I know is that it will be deeper and darker.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Primarily I have always been influenced by the same music no matter what I am playing, it's just that some sounds and styles are more prominent than others at times. In the early days it was just Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, Moonblood, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer and Judas iscariot... mostly because that was the only black metal I really knew back then. Some other bands that have left a lasting impression on me are Godflesh, Leviathan, Ministry, Silencer, Xasthur, Bethlehem, Urgehal, Beherit, Alien Sex Fiend, Sunno)), Absu, Sisters Of Mercy, Joy Division, Taake, Black Witchery, Hate Forest, Swans,... I'm not necessarily influenced by specific sounds but by the moods and pictures these sounds paint.
My music taste is fairly varied, I also listen to a lot of old punk, rock, classic heavy metal, electronic shit, doom, thrash and death metal. At the moment I'm listening to the last releases by Shining, Deathspell Omega, Nachtmystium and a lot of King Diamond.

11. How would you describe your views on Occultism?
Confusing. Occultism plays a big part in my world view and interests, though I wouldn't say I actually believe in anything as such. I'm interested in the various aspects and definitions of Satanism yet I do not exactly believe in Satan whilst at the same time I do not eschew a belief in any such 'Devil'. I believe in channelling oppressive and destructive forces for those situations in which you have to do whatever is necessary in order to progress and protect yourself. That's as much as I'm really willing to say on that topic for now, as not only is it personal but I also have no clear definite answer. Perhaps the 'Unknown' should always remain as such?

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Music is my only real interest that I invest huge amounts of my time into, but other than that I like to read about religion, mythology and philosophy which is something I don't do nearly as much as I should do these days. I also paint and draw from time to time and watch movies. I like war, fantasy and horror movies a lot, Sinister was the first new horror that has impressed me in quite some time and the score to that film is fantastic. Other than that I'll waste time drinking, playing video games or watching retarded/gross shit on the internet. 

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview? 
Yes, my EP 'The Void Of Human Waste' will be released on the 28th of April, which for now will only be directly available through me. You can also download (for free) a compilation of old demos that I made under the Witchking name from here http://wytchfilth.bandcamp.com/ . Thank you for the interview, I enjoyed the challenge of putting some reason behind this chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment