Saturday, July 6, 2013

Prometheus Rising Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
Well I started this project back in 2010 out of frustration that people around me were unwilling or unable (or both) to play this kind of music. After attending a music course in college I learned the basics of sequencing and recording software and decided that I could just do everything myself.
2. Your music covers alot of different genres of black metal, what was it that made you go for this approach as opposed to sticking to just one genre, throughout an album?
Well basically my music comes from what I'm feeling at any given time. Certainly back in the earlier days I found song ideas would come to me and it was a case of releasing material as it was recorded. These days I'm trying to focus each release on a particular style or sound. I've found that not sticking to a particular style throughout allows me certain freedoms that maybe I wouldn't have had I set out to do a certain style.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the project explores with the music?
I cover things like depression, misanthropy, hatred for those in power and of course, good old fashioned anti-religion. I try to put a historical spin on the anti-religion stuff though and rather than say 'I hate Christians etc', I prefer to say 'Yeah, this is some of the shit you did to become as powerful as you are'.
4. I know that the band name came from Greek Mythology, do you have a huge interest in this topic?
At the time I did. I was fascinated by the story of Prometheus and how he directly defied Zeus and ended up paying the price for it. I began wondering about what would happen had that not been the end of the story and Prometheus had his revenge. There was a song in there somewhere but I've yet to write it.
5. Currently there is only 1 member in the band, do you plan on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
I did contemplate expanding the line-up to do live shows but the idea was quickly dismissed. I prefer to keep this as a personal project. Adding new members has a lot of cons in the creative control aspect.
6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
I have worked with a label/distro called Depressive Illusions that's based in Ukraine on a few occasions. A label is great for getting your music out there but of course, depending on the label there may be some issues. If the right offer came along I'd jump at it but it's not one of my main goals to be signed.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
For the most part it's been quite positive, especially back in the old Myspace days. Since Myspace died though I've found it more difficult to connect to an audience since Facebook charges pages to put out all of their posts to all of their followers. I can't say I've had any negative feedback apart from this one guy telling me I had no business doing this kind of music since I hadn't murdered anyone. Seemed like someone that took Burzum a bit too seriously.
8. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
The album I've been working on that I hope to release towards the end of the year is based more around the DSBM style. It's going to be a concept album that tells the story of a man spiralling into severe depression after not being able to find any meaning in his life. I was also working on another concept based around medieval battles ad regime changes. All the songs have been written for that but I'm not sure when it'll be released.
9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Early on I was very much influenced by Burzum and Emperor. I loved Burzum's minimalist style and it showed me that with certain production and arrangement techniques, you can make a song that has very few riffs. Emperor was instrumental in the earlier days as they showed how keyboards can be used as both a melodic instrument and an atmospheric tool at the same time, something I'd never come across before. I was also influenced by Darkthrone, Mayhem, Bathory, Venom and Motorhead, as well as the odd progressive band.
These days I've been listening to Enslaved a lot, particularly Vertebrae. I've also been listening to Coldworld, Happy Days and Xasthur a lot. When I'm writing and recording music though I tend to avoid extreme metal for the most part. Been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden, Rush and the odd punk/pop-punk band.
10. Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?
Not really. I'm an atheist and don't really believe in anything. I suppose the old Pagan religions play a role in songs that are about Christians (mostly Romans) forcefully converting Europe but other than.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Outside music I enjoy manga and anime, video games and drawing. I'm also a fan of anything animated. I'm basically a nerd but there's nothing wrong with that. Not been much in the mood to do anything but music lately though.
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
I'd like to thank everyone that has supported this project over the past three years. I hope you will continue to support it. Be sure to look out for information on the next release on Facebook, and any other networking sites. Should be ready by Winter this year.
I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to conduct this interview. It's very much appreciated.

Facebook
Myspace
Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment