Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Vaba Marat Interview


1.Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
1. Vaba Marat is an abstraction from what I am as a human being. Something like a stream of consciousness. Some stuff like the split with Venowl and the album "Larvae" were recorded with the help of my friend M. playing drums, with whom I've been in many bands so far. The vocals on some tracks from "Black Noise Antifascista" were recorded by R. and on "Honorado" by Eto (from Black Vulture, Martian Moth and pathétique poupée).
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
2. First of all I consider Vaba Marat to be a punk band due to the DIY and to the anarchist ideals that surrounds it. As I said before, I was also influenced by noise and black metal. Everything is recorded without any technical capacity of playing guitar or any instrument, same goes with the programming/mixing part.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3. Anarchism, anti-fascism, anti-homophobia, anti-sexism, nihilism, personal feelings and thoughts that don't make any sense. I always wanted to translate them to english on the bandcamp or even creating a blog to post them, but I am too lazy to do that.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?
4. It's just a random arrangement of letters. After I've choose them I went to know about some historical figure from the French Revolution called Jean-Paul Marat, but this is just a coincidence.
5. Currently there is only one member in the band, do you feel this allows for more room in the creative aspects of the recordings?
5. Keeping an one-man band without really knowing how to play an instrument is pretty hard. But yes, I feel free to do whatever I want and I am capable to (which is not too much since I am not a musician). It also gives me the freedom to invite collaborators.
6. You have put out a good amount of splits recently, out of all the splits you have participated in, which one did you enjoy doing the most?
6. I like them all. Hehexun and Qliphotic Zafina were efforts from people that are really close to me, and the guys from Venowl and Alkmorhilyion are awesome. The split with Venowl is special for me because it has REALLY been released on a physical format and I think that "Forzaleva" is the best track I've made so far.
7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and other forms of underground music?
7. Definately I had more feedback from foreigners than brazilian. I've met a lot of nice people from abroad due to Vaba Marat and the band received attention from a few labels (like Sanctum Abyss, Dipsomaniac Records, Glossolalia Records and others). This is my first interview and I am answering it in english! Maybe it's because black noise is something that almost no one in Brazil knows about. On the other side, my other bands were not as weird as Vaba Marat and they gained more feedback from the locals.
8.What is going on with the other musical projects these days?
8. I also make noise as Clan dos Mortos Cicatriz, but I withdrew from playing with other bands for a while.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9. Usually I don't plan what a release should sound like, but I think that next releases will contain longer tracks. I've also been thinking of recording an album with me playing the drums and adding a bass line, but I think it will be too difficult for me.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. When it comes from black noise, Enbilulugugal and pathétique poupée were huge influences to me. Some other bands that inspired me to start Vaba Marat were Bone Awl, Disclose, Vegas Martyrs, Venowl and Raspberry Bulbs.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
11. Anarchism, sociology, japanese culture, literature, soccer, drinking a lot and my cats. I also run a label called O Bricoleur which is more focused on punk and crust.
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
2. Sorry if the answers were too long, and for language errors that they might contain. Thank you for the interest of knowing more about Vaba Marat and sharing it with the others.
FUCK NAZI SYMPATHY!

https://vabamarat.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment