Monday, August 19, 2013

Walden Interview

  •  
  • 1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
    1. My name is Jacob and Walden has been my personal creative outlet since 2009.
    2. How would you describe your musical sound and how it differs from the other projects you are involved with?
    2. Musically speaking, I started this project in 2009, when I was coming on 15 years old. I had been into black metal for about a year / year and a half at that point, and I really just wanted to try my hand at aping my favorite bands at that point (the first few demos and EP were pretty much exercises in Burzum worship). However, I'd say I started to find more of a sonic identity when I first visited the old growth forest in Port Renfrew, being amongst such ancients, breathing their air, thinking their thoughts... that was fucking transformative for me. At that point it ceased to simply be a hobby, and became part of my soul. Everything from "Beyond The Landscapes Of Man" onward, I consider to be true Walden, everything before that was just practice...
    Back to your original question, ahah, I've found that Walden's sound has evolved and morphed throughout the years. I've explored the realms of traditional black metal and neofolk, and recently I've been experimenting with grafting the two together... I've also got an industrial/BM/noise/synth record coming down the pipe and another bit of material that almost sounds like Strid merged with cloud rap beats... I never inhibit myself creatively. I'm willing to try anything that I think might sound good. As far as other stuff, I play in another black metal band, a sludge/improv type project, experimental/noise projects, and a grindcore band (among others), so I like to mix it up.
    3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
    3. Walden's lyrics focus on matters from ecological issues and reverence of nature, all the way through basic human emotion of every stripe. Whatever feelings are evoked within by the melodies come through in my lyrics. I always write every melody and part in a song before writing the lyrics.
    4. You have done bot acoustic and electric albums, how would you compare the 2 different styles?
    4. I quite love folk and neofolk music in general, and I just thought it would be a good experience to write and record something on the mellower side for a change. I plan to put out another purely acoustic record in the near future. As for mixing acoustic and electric music, I've always been crazy stoked on all the older folk/black bands who broke new ground with the inclusion of traditional instruments; early Ulver especially is one of my favorite things to listen to. There are a ton of worthy bands carrying this torch today, especially in Cascadia... It's wonderful to live in a region surrounded by musicians who I connect with musically and ideologically.
    5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
    5. Walden was inspired by Thoreau's masterwork, and is representative of the deep spiritual bond with nature that this project possesses.
    6. I know that the band started out as Marchentroll, what was the decision behind the name change?
    6. The change of name also came when I decided to get more serious about the project.
    7. Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain a duo?
    7. I am and have always been the only core member of Walden. I write the melodies but have trouble translating them onto the guitar. My friend Festus was part of the band since the beginning, playing the melodies and contributing his own flair with his unique and sometimes improvised bass playing. Festus left the band after Metchosin due to personal reasons but we're all cool, nothing bad happened. The next record will see my very own father stepping into the breach, something I'm actually really stoked for. I'm hoping to start doing live shows, but I am having trouble finding a full lineup for them, and raising money to fund such shows. It'll happen though.
    8.Some of the albums have came out on Bubonic Breakout Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
    8. Hahaha, Bubonic Breakout is a tiny (pretty much broke) pseudo-label that me and my friend ran. I'm hoping to put out cassettes through a couple of local labels so I don't have to restrict myself to such puny numbers
    9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and folk?
    9. My project definitely isn't that well known, but I don't care about the fame. The people who have discovered my music and spoken out about it make me feel so good though; it's truly a wonderful feeling to know that something that you do resonates with others on a deep level. I just want to make music and get my messages across to those who wish to hear them.
    10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
    10. It's hard to say. I could end up putting out more black metal albums; I could choose to put out a jazz record, or a noise tape, or a 2 hour piece of ambient... I don't know. But I invite anybody who reads this to come along for the ride.
    11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have influenced the music of this project?
    11. Whoa, that's a hard question. Everything I listen to becomes an influence in one way or another, but I'll try and slim it down to the most significant... Burzum, Ulver, Strid, Empyrium, Agalloch, all the old rock bands my dad showed me, FORGOTTEN WOODS, Arckanum, Summoning... also HUGE props to bands like Skagos, Panopticon, Alda and Falls of Rauros for PROVING to the world that this art form is ANYTHING but dead.
    12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
    2. Never constrict yourself creatively. And thank you so very much for interviewing me, it means a lot. Have an awesome one.

No comments:

Post a Comment