Monday, December 16, 2013

Faded Grave Interview

  •  
  • 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
  • 1. I always wanted to have a music project but never got anywhere with it. I finally ended up being serious about it in late 2007 when I created Faded Grave. The main focus was to write black metal music and stay "underground" in opposition to all of the so-called "metal" bands that were spawning, the numbers of trend metal bands continue to grow in Rhode Island.
2.How would you describe your current musical sound and also how has it evolved over the years?
2. It is always tough to explain the project's current sound, as it changes from album to album. The aim was always to be a raw black metal band, and to this day I like to incorporate the raw black metal roots into my music. I'm a big fan of the raw sound and also ambience and synths. Listening to my first demo I wrote, the audio quality was terrible which was the way I wanted it. The more I played and wrote music the more technical the riffs/songs got. Over time, the music quality got better and decipherable, but I tried my best not to break the routine of black./speed metal.

3.The newer material was all instrumental while the earlier stuff had vocals, what was the decision behind the musical change?
3. I have mixed feelings when it comes to vocals in my music. I am not completely sold on my ability to do vocals/lyrics for some reason. My intentions were to add vocals to the newest material but just could not find the time or think of anything. What it comes down to is time and ability. Though I plan to return to doing vocals on a future release.

4.What where some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explored with the past releases?
4. On past releases the lyrics seemed to focused on religion, war, myth, death, suicide, depression and the occult. It was a wide variety of topics that obviously was not set in stone going album to album either.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Faded Grave?
5. I live in a town that's famous for it's cemeteries and 'vampire graves'. I actually live right near a family cemetery that supposedly included a vampire. Whether it is true or not it makes for a real interesting story. The woman's name was Sarah Tillinghast. I visited the gravesite among other known graves around Rhode Island and eventually the name came to me.

6.Currently this musical project is all solo, do you have any plans on using other musicians for this project in the future?
6. I like the advantage of having a one man band. I can do all of the work at my own pace and involves no consulting so the material doesn't get 'watered' down. I do plan to collaborate with other musicians and also feature them in tracks for albums but I think Faded Grave will always be a solo project

7.According to the bandcamp page the project is on hold, can you tell us a little bit more about yet?
7. Every now and then I put the project on hiatus, not because of loss of interest, it's more of responsibility matters. It's tough balancing college, work and trying to maintain a consistent schedule for writing music. Usually when semesters end I'll start back up writing material.

8.What is going on with your other musical projects these days?
8. Unfortunately when one project gets put on hold they all do. At times I feel bad for the other musicians because I feel like I burden the project with my lack of availability during semesters. Some projects fizzled out, but I have three good projects going that I would enjoy continuing (Faded Grave, Euporie, Caillte Agus Marbh)

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
9. Overall the feedback on written material has been pretty good. The reviews have been beneficial as they highlight my strengths and weaknesses as a musician. Music truly is a staple in my life and it is inspiring I am able to write material that others enjoy.

10.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
10. I'll probably stick to the raw side of black metal. The treble and grit of the riffs appeal to me so I'll probably stay with that style. I don't rule out experimenting with acoustic and ambience however.

11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. The earlier albums of Darkthrone, Mayhem, Bathory and similar bands left a mark on me and inspired me to write fast and chaotic riffs. I was attached to Mayhem's 'Deathcrush' release, how the songs could be slow but still heavy and effective – but also have the speed riffs as well.

12.How would you describe your views on Occultism?
12. Occultism has always fascinated me. I've had a number of experiences that I believe I can relate back to the occult so it happened to have a profound impact on my music content. It is the unknown things that are the most interesting and mystifying.

13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
13. Aside from writing music, I am a huge sports fan. I'll be watching NFL and NHL on a regular basis during the seasons. Spending time with like-minded musicians is another thing I am fond of. It's great bouncing ideas off of each other and give advice on how to improve. Can't forget the beer(s) and the tokes

14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
14. First I appreciate the reviewing of my demos and for the opportunity of the interview. I'd also like to thank those who continue to support me through the years and enjoy the music. As for everyone else, look for future releases from my bands Faded Grave, Euporie and Caillte Agus Marbh


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment