Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Deep Desolation Interview


DEEP  DESOLATION
all answers by mastermind himself lord Markiz

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Markiz: We are working on the third album at the moment, and very soon we will enter the studio to start the record session. I am in two other bands beside that, that's why I don't really have spare time.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
Markiz: We distorted our sound down on "Rites of Blasphemy", bass guitar is distorted as well, that's why sound is more dirty and heavier than on our debut album. On the album we are working now we decreased tuning again, but we will see results after complete work.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
Markiz: On "Rites of Blasphemy" we depict dark visions bathed in narcotic deliriums. Meriath, our guitar player, created most of the lyrics, I created one text to one song and we used one poem by William Blake, this is the only song performed in our native Polish language. We try in a surrealistic way respond to the crap we live in. My lyrics differ from Meriath's, they have more ideological and have more satanic message, Meriath creates fictional stories which are to reflect atmosphere of the song.
    
4. The new album came out on DarkZone Productions can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Markiz: It is a split release of two underground labels: The End of Time Records and DarkZone Productions. They care of reviews and interviews all right, but they don't support us with gigs, which is very uncomfortable for us, because we just want to play live.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Markiz: As mentioned above, we don't play live very often, mostly we play in our hometown. We hope that will change soon, but nevertheless we focus on our new album now.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Markiz: We don't really have such ones at the moment.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the newer music by fans of black and doom metal?
Markiz: Judging on published reviews and interviews feedback is very good, but as previosly mentioned, we didn't have the chance to present to a broader audience due to only local shows, that's why it is hard to say. Third album we are working on now may change that matter when released. I dont' know about our sales, it can reflects value of the band as well.

8. Are there any other current musical projects besides Deep Desolation?
Markiz: As previously mentioned I play in two other bands, black metal Architect Of Disease, we released debut album this year. This is link to check the band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du4_o7SQvR0). My other band is Doomster Reich playing a mixture of heavy doom psychedelic, we are looking for label to release our debut, you can check our music here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Ysf1jt3YM

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Markiz: We won't change our direction, we still play old good black metal plus elements of doom metal. New stuff is more heavy I'd say, refers more to the classics of playing heavy music, but played in our own unique style. We can discuss that after finalising the whole session.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Markiz: The whole classics of doom metal Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, proceeders of that style Cathedral, Electric Wizard, then first and second wave of black metal - Bathory, Celtic Frost, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, then classics like Judas Priest, Motorhead, then psychedelic rock like early Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Monster Magnet (early records, the new one kick the ass though, one of the best records of year 2013), bands playing black metal with psychedelic and trance elements like Aluk Todolo, Oranssi Pazuzu (one of the best bands of recent years), then old obscure death metal of Autopsy, my personal number one, plus Entombed and Grave, plus new bands like Obliteration, then dark ambient, drone, avantgarde music of Diamanda Galas, Jarboe, Lustmord, Sunn o)), Asva, then progressive music of King Crimson and new bands like Astra, retro style bands like Devil's Blood, Jex thoth, Kadaver, Orchid. As you can see there are plenty of them, that's why I express myself in three different bands, on top of that I collect CD albums, I own more than one thousand items, as you can see I have lots of music to listen to.

11. How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism and also which occult philosophers and magickans had and impact on your views?
Markiz: For me personally satanism is a key word regarding my attitude towards world. I consider that as my life philosophy not as religion. I am not religious person, and I hate all practices coming from religious leaders, even tradition annoys me, where in Poland tradition is a base for the religion. For me satanism is a self glorification, extreme egocentricity towards self-development, pleasure and achieving own goals. Accepting myself in the whole spectrum including internal destructive forces. Fascination with everything what mysterious, hidden means occultism. Otherwise I would call that far individualism, but in an aspect of existing.
in such hypocritical catholic society I use word "satanism", but that word has Christian connection and I like its meaning which is rebellion and having myself on the pedestal. I won't be very original with my authors like Nietzsche, Crowley, Anton Wilson, George Bataille, Markiz de Sade, Osman Spare, counter-culture writers, horror classics like Lovecraft. These aspects influenced on me and still do. I have very crystallized philosophy of life, few outlooks very radical, but I can cooperate with people, I still manage to play in three bands, not in a solo project!! But these are my own views, not the whole band, because rest of the band members may have different views, but as a band we are opponents to Christianity and Islam. Interest in occult is only mine.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Markiz: It is literature and active sport, I try to keep my form well. I like to experiment with psychedelic, but I don't really have an access, only rarely I turn myself into shaman.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Markiz: Thanks for interesting questions, sorry for delay with my answers, but as they say better late than never. I hope I introduced band fair enough. Talk to us after third full album then. Stay heavy. Markiz & DEEP DESOLATION.


Bandcamp
Blogspot @ archive.org
Facebook
Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment