Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hovf Interview


1.Can you give us an introduction to this musical project for those that will be hearing of you for the first time?
I started Hovf in 2010 when I began in “High school”, at the time I already had a band (Svartkonst) where I was playing bass and managed the vocals.
But I felt that I had to do something on my own, with the material which did not fit into svartkonst.

2.You have released a lot of material in a 2 year span, in your own words how would you describe the musical sound that is present on your recordings and also how would you describe your progress as a musician over the years?

It is some kind of mixture between Black/ folk (pagan) metal.
I have also experimented with different styles, keyboards and vocals.
My opinion is that I have much more experience of recording and writing music/ lyrics then I had only 2 years back when I released Risveden.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects over the years with your recordings?

The Risveden EP is all about a large forest area next to where I live, and there are many stories and stuff from the medieval age that I write about.
The other demos are about various folklore and tales from Sweden.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hovf'?

Hovf is and old spelling of “Hov” which in English means “Court”.
I found it in a book if I remember it right.

5.With this musical project you work solo, do you feel this adds a lot to the creativity of the music?

Yeah of course, I can do whatever I want to do without having people around having opinions about it!

6.There has been a lot of material released in the last couple of years, would you say music takes up most of your time?

Yeah, no not really. I record and writes songs when I am in the mood, and when I feel the creativity is right. I guess that so is the case very often haha.

7.A few months back you released a split album with Nocturnal Nightmare and Ash, what are your thoughts on the other bands that participated on this split?

I know one of the guys in Nocturnal Nightmare pretty good so he asked me if I wanted to participate on a split, and I said yes. The guys play excellent music!
The other band Ash had I never heard of but I suppose that he is good in what he does.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and folk metal?

The things I have heard is only good spoken words, so I suppose I am doing well haha.

9.According to the metal archives page, you are also involved with some other musical projects, can you tell us a little bit more about them?

In late 2013 I became the vocalist for the Death metal band Isolated, and we have begun to re-record some old songs.
In early 2014 I also became the session bass player for the Black Metal act Dødsfall.

10.Where do you see 'Hovf' heading into musically on future releases?

I am recording a single just in this moment and will contain 3 tracks.
Then I am also having plans for a Full-length album.

11.Recently a lot of your demos where compiled together and released as a compilation album, where you satisfied with the way they came out out?

Yeah, but it was not a compilation and no release!
I was just packed together so I could send and spread them much easier.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have influenced you as a musician and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Some of the bands that has influenced me is Vintersorg, burzum, angantyr, otyg, unpure, satyricon, nattsmyg, skald, arckanum and many more!
Things that are to my liking and appeals to me.

13.How would you describe your views on Paganism?

It is a interesting subject to talk, write and writing music about.

14.Do you have any non musical interests?

My girlfriend of course haha.

15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Yeah, check out my other band Svartkonst haha


Facebook
Myspace
SoundCloud

No comments:

Post a Comment