Thursday, June 30, 2016

Dusk Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

- At the moment I'm not working on Dusk. There is a break with this project. I'm more busy with TYMAH at the moment.


2.For those that have yet to hear the albums, how would you describe your musical sound?

- In the beginning it was a bit raw, then became a little bit more burnished. It was always old-school and quite dirty, but never too modern, too clear, too plastic. And of course the musical sound always depended on the circumstances. Book of Satan is a bit different, because it was not a Black Metal album. Concerning the content it was Black Metal, but musically it was not. This album was most of all not metal.  It was a dark ritual trance music with shamanic/throat singing. I think those of my albums which were Black Metal albums had avarage BM sound, not the popular one of course.


3.The last full length came out in 2011, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?

- In that time we started to work more on TYMAH, which from then on changed a little bit. In the beginning Dim was writing 100% of the music, but this changed, and I started to put more musical ideas into it as well. We tried to develop a system in which we can cooperate and work together with 100 % of efficiency. But this didn't start to work right away, it took some time of experiencing to establish and strengthen this system. The Past is Alive material has a lot of this experimental phase. Since then we have discovered how we should work together so that our ideas complement each other, and thus we can make something better than if we do this alone. This work totally takes my focus, so I give Dusk a little rest. I think I did quite a lot of Dusk albums, and tried to express most or even everything I wanted through Dusk. We'll see what happens, but at the moment I am not writing more Dusk stuff because I don't feel that I could make a better album than the previous ones.


4.Your lyrics cover a lot of Satanic topics, what form of Satanism do you feel you connect with the most?

- I think there is only one Satanism. People who don't understand, who are outsiders regarding Satanism, are separating it into pieces. And when young people, with no experience, come they get lost among this huge amount of misleading information. Those who take it seriously and deepen themselves in this topic speak the same all around the world. Even if the way they express themselves is different sometimes, but the content, the essence is the same. Satanism doesn't have many forms, it is different just because the people who deal with Satanism are on different levels of understanding. And this gives the difference. But I don't think we should be as blind as the christians, who created so many types of christianity, and each leader of each group propogates its own truth and thinks this is the only truth. Everything is the same, there are only minor differences. My lyrics always were about Satanism. Black Metal was about Satanism, and I was doing Black Metal from the beginning. I think everyone has their own way towards enlightement, and you cannot dogmatically prescipe them to do this or that. Everyone has to find their way on their own. Everyone has to find their own method how to find the way back to themselves and the Darkness. The most important is that he or she should be really determined about that this is the most important for them and not just a hobby. They have to clarify that this is the most important, and it will remain like this forever. In a way this is natural, or should be natural, but I feel I have to emphasize this many times. I see in many young people that they are not fully determined and that is why they stop at some level. Simplifying: If someone really wants it he or she will experience Darkness. Spiritual development is one of our primary needs but the way how we reach it maybe totally different in each case. Some need rituals to get rid of the physical dimension, to ascend or descend in the proper spiritual estate, some need meditation. And some use LSD or Psylocibe C. For me the perfect way is to meditate in proper circumstances with the use of some stuff. The most important thing is that we must be able to step out  the physical dimension, to step out of the everyday life. everyone pulls down the walls of the ego and physical dimension in their own manner. And if you manage to break them you can experience and understand Darkness. This is of course not our total goal and final destination, but this is the first step which we can call Satanism. Not the method, the approach is important, but the devotion and dedication. Even Lavey with all his "funny" things can be mentioned here as an example, although I think he was quite at the beginning of this understanding. But he was building his theories on freedom and do agree with that it is primary. We need to be free and not being the crowd, the ego should not mislead us. Of course dedication is also needed, but we can also say that it is a smaller detail of the whole... Anyway, I would not draw strict borders. A Satanist is a person, in my eyes, whose goals and aims are identical with the goals of the Darkness. The rest will be solved by devotion and dedication, sooner or later.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Dusk'?

-  Darkness... The beginning of Darkness... but if I want to say it in a different way I could say it it the gate of Hell. Dusk is being inspired by Darkness. I try to express with music my experience with Darkness. I strongly believe in that it can lead me forward and maybe even may lead forward others.


6.Currently there is only 1 member in the band but there where ever musicians involved in the plan, would you consider 'Dusk' as being a solo project these days?

- At the moment I am creating Dusk on my own. In the beginning it was differently, because Akharu was playing an important tole in the band. And of course there had been some drummers as well in that period. Nowadays I think that in a way it is easier to be alone in a band, but in the other hand if several appropriately dark souls gather together they can make better music together. It is of course another issue that it is not easy to find appropriate mates. Average people make average music, and upon this I see that a good musicianship, talent, and creativity is needed also. There are several bands today, who are absolutely fine idealogically, but this does not come through their music. Because, they are not able to project their experience with Darkness well enough through their art. So in case of Black Metal, one-man band it is often a non-avoidable solution. This is how it is in case of Dusk.


7.What where some of the best shows that the band has played in the past and also how would you describe your stage performance?

- I'm not really of that concert-going and concert-doing type of person. And upon this it is of course quite difficult to make a concert in a case of a one-man band. But, there was a concert of Book of Satan, and I think it went on well.  My aim was to make that album more understandable, because many didn't understand what to do with it. It was not a Metal album, that you insert in your CD player and listen as you usually do with other Metal stuff. This is a ritual trance music which I tried to present on stage as well. The audience was not made of people walking in from the street by accident, however, I saw fear in the eyes of many when they had a little glance into this world of Darkness... There was maybe only one pair of eyes who could understand this, and I thought there is not point in doing concerts this way. Black Metal is not for concert stage in my opinion, as concerts are about party and fun. Black Metal is not about this. It is a very personal thing, which you rather understand listening in calm circumstances, at home for example. So there won't be any more concerts for sure.


8.On the compilation there was a 'Burzum' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of this song?

- Some years ago I had been asked to make a cover like this. A label wanted to make a Burzum tribute album with the participation of Hungarian bands. This cover was made because of this album. But after I heard who will be included in this album I cancelled my participation, because I didn't want to be listed together with fashion bands. I chose this song because Vikernes did Daudi Baldrs the way he did it because of his prison sentence and he had many years until his release that time. I though it would a good idea to chose this kind of song an make a Metal version of Moti Ragnarokum. I didn't want to chose a piece of music that he already did in perfection himself. And this track was not yet done in Metal version by him because of the prison, so I thought I try and imagined how it could sound in the old Burzum manner. Since it was never released, I put it on Satan's Laws material just as an interesting bonus.


9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

- In the last few years I kind of lost most of my connections and aquaintances. Maybe it comes by age, I don't know. Anyway, I didn't read or hear any responses lately. Nowadays I more focus on myself, my faith. I've been Satanist for about 22 years and I have probably not more than this much until I reach my inner goals and finish my mission. I'm thinking mainly about this nowadays. What did I reach so far? Is it enough? What can I do, to be more successful with my inner goals an shorten another 22 years?


10.Are you still involved with 'Tymah', these days?

- Yes. As I told above, I am involved in TYMAH much more than before. Compared to previous years it is much more interesting for me nowadays. I feel that now we have a chance to create something really special, that could be an honourable continuation of the old great bands. The 4th album's release is in process at the moment. It will be titled "Zuhanás", and I think it is the best material of the band so far. It developed musically quite a lot since we now we work much more together than before, and the sound has been also polished quite a lot. It did not become modern sounding of course. We just managed to collect all the appropriate instruments, so the quality became much better. However, it was not easy in the country we live in.


11.When can we expect newer music and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

- I can't answer this question at the moment. There is no plans for a new material now.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

- I don't really know what was influencing my music, but I was influenced a lot by these bands: Pokolgép (old), Bahtory, Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor, Vond, Mortiis. These bands had a big affect on my life. 

What do I listen today? Mainly the same as I listed above. But I also listen sometimes to Judas Priest, Motorhead. And since many years I listen to Forest also, the first three albums are very good in my opinion.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

- Thank you for the interview.

Don't accept the existence!

Remember yourself!

Don't ever compromise!

Fight for your aim and not for the reward!

Question everything!

Find the answer to everything yourself!

Rise over the human existence!

Find the most inner knowledge!

Let your faith and aim be always the first!

Become your most inner will itself!

See the truth behind the illusion!

Bandcamp
Official website

No comments:

Post a Comment